Monday, June 14, 2010

Chosen Generation

G'day!

Elder Cahigas and I had a bit of a roller coaster week. A lot of good happened but we had some set backs too. But no worries! The good always out ways the bad so its all gravy in the navy. Yeah gravy in the navy....its not an Aussie saying I just made it up the other day..dont be jealous stephen. So right now Elder Cahigas and I are really struggling to know what to do about Jamie and her partner Daniel. They arent really trying to keep commitments and even though they claim to want to strengthen their relationship with God they dont seem to be putting a lot of effort forward. I'm working on my Christlike Attribute PATIENCE this week. I seem to be working on that one a lot...hmmm. Sorry If i wasnt patient with any of you before my mission, you must all have been praying for me to have heaps of opprotunities to increase my patience eh? Well thanks a lot! I'm feeling it now! Maybe the Buddhists are right about Charma...jk.

 Yesterday we had a pretty good day at church. Our Bishop's son Will gave such a great talk about the youth of our days. He explained some scary statistics about youth these days and he explained how satan is now attacking the family through the youth. I can see how true that is as I've been a missionary. He explained the importance of the youth programs of the church and how closely and carefully we need to watch and care for the youth today. Elder Eyring gave a great talk about this in General Conference. I loved how he pointed out how the youth today are the chosen generation BUT so are the parents. The parents are the chosen generation to raise the youth in this world today. He told a good story about the importance of listening to your parents, I'll tell what I remember: "A man lived in a Cabin on the outskirts of town with his young son and one day as he was returning home from gathering some wood for the fireplace he started to have a really eary feeling. As he approached the house he noticed that the door was wide open and that everything inside the house had been smashed and thrown around. He panicked and he ran through the house looking for his son yelling at the top of his lungs. His son was no where to be found. As he hurried outside he saw his dog coming from the woods with blood surrounding its mouth. Fearing the worst he furiously grabbed the dog, took it deep in the woods and put it down. As he returned home for the second time with grief engulfing him he saw something in the corner of his eye on the side of the house. As he walked over he could see that it was a large bear that had died from visible bite wounds all over it. Hopeful he hurried into the house and joyfully found his son hiding under his bed, perfectly fine. The dog had been protecting the man's son from the bear."(thats the best I remember it but I hope you get the picture) Will explained that as youth sometimes we feel that our parents are too hard or too strict or too protective and we disregard what they say. We view them as the "bad guy" in some cases when really all our parents are trying to do is keep us same from the "large bears" of the world that could overcome and destroy us. I'm thankful for my parents who took time to ask me questions about what was going on in my life and also about my testimony of the gospel. I'm thankful for their concern and their unconditional love. Look at the youth around you and see if any of them need a helping hand or warm smile or someone to talk to. The youth are the future leaders of the church and the future of the world. This message hit me hard because I was thinking about my own brothers who I love very VERY much. I hope we are all mindful of all of Heavenly Father's children that surround us everyday and that we strive to be a lighthouse to the shore of everlasting peace and happiness instead of apart of the storm that constantly trying to push us back or bring us down.

 I love this Gospel and I know that this Gospel of Jesus Christ: Faith, Repentance, Baptism(Partacking of the Sacrament), Holy Ghost and Enduring to the end is the way that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father and live with our families forever. Also if each and everyone of us was constantly trying to keep our covenants which we made at baptism, which are:take upon us the name of christ, always remember him and keep his commandments, how much stronger would we be in this war verses satan? But we arent perfect of course and that is why Jesus Christ has graciously given us the Sacrament that we can partake of EVERY week to renew our covenants that we made at baptism and push forward on our pathway to eternal life. I know that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten of the Father. The Savior and Redeemer of the World. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. He saw our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. How amazing is it that we have a prophet today?! and Twelve Apostles! I know that God is still speaking to his chirldren today as he has in the past. This is my testimony in the name of jesus Christ amen.


Elder Nelson


Mum, sorry if the email was a bit heavy. I was going to give a couple funny stories but I didnt have enough time. I felt this was a bit more important too. Are you doing FHE's at home? Can you do an FHE on understanding and recognizing the promptings of the spirit? Especially to know if something is true. Also maybe if you could do a lesson on Baptism and the Importance of the Sacrament.
i'm gonna miss president scruggs. I'm probably gonna move to the south mission at the end of the month.....ah! Elder Cahigas is great! He's a great teacher. He's older too, 24. I dont think I have Denisa's address anymore. Can I have it please?? Tell stephen and Bryce that I love them. Yeah I remember Eric nuttal he was my "dad" on the pioneer trek lol. He's cool as. Love you all. I'm working hard. cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment